Browsing Posts published on January 3, 2009

From the Jerusalem Post:

“Fatah officials in Ramallah told The Jerusalem Post that Hamas militiamen had been assaulting many Fatah activists since the beginning of the operation last Saturday. They said at least 75 activists were shot in the legs while others had their hands broken. ”

Click here for the full article.

People have asked us this question through our twitter account and the blog. Here is what Consul David Saranga has to say on the matter of today’s ground operation:

Hamas still maintains the capacity and will to engage in terrorism. With Iranian assistance, Hamas has extended the reach of its missile strikes to threaten close to one million Israelis. By using Mosques, private homes and other public institutions as arsenals and bases of operation, Hamas has effectively taken the Palestinians of Gaza hostage, using them as human shields.

Over many years Israel has tried to bring an end to the terror attacks from Gaza and was unsuccessful. Hamas abused its truce with Israel not only to keep firing missiles against the civilian population, but also to stockpile weapons and prepare for a confrontation with the IDF.  Israel has no intention to govern Gaza, but operation “Cast Lead” must continue, for the time being, as the IDF acts to gain control over areas from which rockets are being launched on Israeli towns.

Israel must persist in order to achieve its stated objectives: to significantly disable the terrorist infrastructure of Hamas and produce lasting change in the security predicament affecting residents of southern Israel.  No sovereign nation would tolerate the daily targeting of its people.  Still, Israel is not an enemy of the Palestinian residents in Gaza: 400 trucks of humanitarian aid and 10 ambulances were allowed passage into Gaza this week; this assistance will continue.

Jon Corzine, Governor and former Senator from ...

Image via Wikipedia

NEWS RELEASE
Governor Jon S. Corzine
January 3, 2009

TRENTON – Governor Jon S. Corzine today issued the following statement regarding the current crisis in the Middle East:

“The current crisis in Israel and Gaza reflects a fundamental truth: Violence begets violence.  What is happening now in the region underscores two important issues:

“First, all countries around the world have the absolute right and the responsibility to defend themselves against attacks on their people and their sovereignty.  Israel has justly asserted that right and responsibility, as any country would, in the face of consistent and recently-increased destructive rocket bombardments against its territory and its citizens by Hamas.  Civilized people everywhere must speak out against terrorist acts.

“Second, the breakdown of the Gaza ceasefire and resumption of violence are tragic reminders of the urgency to work toward comprehensive peace in the Middle East.

“Along with people of all backgrounds and faiths, I mourn the loss of innocent life and believe we are compelled by our common humanity to ensure that critical aid and assistance flow unhindered to innocent civilians in Gaza.  I hope all parties respond to the urgent needs of the civilian population, and applaud Israel’s decision to open the borders for the life-saving work of United Nations agencies, the Red Cross and other humanitarian organizations.

“I pray the New Year will bring renewed efforts toward peace.”

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Security Cabinet Decision on the Continuation of IDF Operations in the Gaza Strip

(Communicated by the Prime Minister’s Media Adviser)

The Ministerial Committee on National Security Affairs (the Security Cabinet) met yesterday (Friday), 3.1.09, in order to discuss the continuation of IDF operations in the Gaza Strip. continue reading…